Tuesday, January 3, 2012

From Year to Minute


January is all about resolutions. The New Year energy brings us hope and a fresh start. Starting, stopping, improving, or renewing is all part of the traditional New Year pledge. It has also become a tradition to end or give up on resolutions before we roll our calendars to February.
Resolutions are based on improvement and wanting to do better…so why limit that to January? You can make a resolution any time of the year; whether it’s in the first of the month or in month twelve.
In my opinion, it’s best to start small with resolutions. For example, if you always wanted to cook, learn how to cook using small, easy, level one recipes…don’t try to start the promise off by learning how to cook a three course meal; that is too overwhelming and could leave you discouraged, causing you to give up. Always start slow…slow and steady.
 What happens if you start slow and find yourself already defeated? Well, I have two answers for your question. One, write your resolution down on paper. Writing things down can help make things feel solidified. Place your note in a spot where you see it often…so that it reminds you to keep up the work. A new habit takes 30 days to form. Remind yourself that developing something or stopping something is a form of a habit…give it time. Secondly, it’s never too late to start anew. Feel defeated…just start again.  
I was discouraged with myself last night and I was being a little too harsh with myself. So, in the spirit of new beginnings, I said no! No, I will not be harsh with myself; I’m going to just ask for mercy and try again. At 6:40 p.m. I declared a do-over.
It’s never too late! You have not messed up to the point where there is no hope for you. It doesn’t matter how many times you have failed in the past. All that matters is the fact that you keep showing up and trying. You can reach your goals; you can see your breakthroughs that you set out in front of you…whether that’s in the New Year or in this minute.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, God is love.. and love always hopes... I pray that all of us will not lose hope in this year.. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God for fresh starts!! I must keep reminding myself there's always one waiting for me if I only look to Him FIRST before I start snowballing the disappointments in myself!
    And as always, I found just what I needed to read to renew me with that inspiration!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete