Monday, January 23, 2012

What’s For Dinner?

Have you ever paused and thought, maybe I shouldn’t do this? My ‘maybe’ situation came Friday night.
Every day I ask myself, what’s for dinner? Since I do majority of the cooking in my house, and since I actually make home cooked meals, I think about dinner prepping and meals quite often. Do I ever go out to eat? Yes! Do I ever get fast-food? Of course! I enjoy food, but it just so happens that I end up cooking more of my meals than dinning out for meals.
It’s Friday evening in my house and I was thinking about pizza. I had the twenty dollars in my hand and I was about to order my favorite pie from my favorite joint. There was something in me that paused and questioned if I should really place my order. On paper, my situation looked perfect for a fun order of dinning in; it’s Friday, I had the money, I was going to enjoy the evening by watching one of my favorite oldie but goodie movies…it was going to be a fun night! So why the pause? Why did I question placing my order? There was just this little nudge in my spirit that seemed to quietly say, no.
In my state of pause, I could have done two things:
1.      Ignore the nudge of no and get my pizza
OR
2.      Follow the nudge and keep the twenty bucks
I answered door number two. I did not place my order, but I still had a great Friday night.
I found myself cleaning the house mid-morning the following day (Saturday). In the mix of cleaning, I discovered a horrible plumbing problem. I was able to manage the plumbing problem, but managing does not mean fixed. Long story short…after an hour of shoving out standing water in my shower while it hailed during a winter storm, I had to call a real plumber. The plumbing is still being worked on…the culprit is tree roots growing in the pipes (creating a blockage for draining); this is not good news.
What was the good news? It’s pizza, of course! Pizza? Yes, pizza!
Saturday was a whirlwind of chaos, thanks to my plumbing problem. I couldn’t really use my kitchen or create a bunch of dishes to wash…because I have plumbing problems. What’s for dinner? I guess I’m gonna need to order that pizza… now! Thank goodness I still had my twenty-bucks for when I really needed it!
Friday’s pause of hesitation was the saving grace for Saturday. Sometimes you need to pay attention to your pauses of hesitations. If you don’t have peace about something, then you don’t have to do it. If you doubt something, you don’t have to do it. What is your gut trying to tell or guide you? I will admit, there are times when I doubt something and I still do it…and every thing is smooth sailing. There are times when you have to recognize when your gut is talking to you verses when you are talking to yourself; sometimes you talk to yourself because you want to stay inside your comfort zone.
I know that ordering pizza may seem like such an unimportant life decision; but look deeper for the meaning in my plumbing debacle. Your gut, your heart, the Lord is always with you. You are important, and the Lord wants to be a part of every aspect of your life. You don’t have to wait until there is a major problem, decision, or occurrence that makes you seek guidance from our loving Lord. HE wants to help you in everything…even when you ask yourself, what’s for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment