Thursday, April 12, 2012

Door-2-Door


There was an expected package coming and I was waiting with excitement for the doorbell to ring. Ding-dong, the doorbell rang and I bolted from my chair straight to the front door. When I answered the door, it was nothing but let-down. The door bell ring had nothing to do with my expected package and everything to do with an annoying salesman.

This young man was standing in front of me with a mouth that ran more than a mile a minute. I couldn’t get too upset with this salesman because he wasn’t what I was expecting, but because I know that this salesman is just trying to make a living in this tough economy.

As the salesman went on and on about his product, I grew dissatisfied. It was clear to me that the salesman was not sincere, and I even caught him in a lie. As you want to display kindness and understanding towards others, please remember that the Lord has equipped us with wisdom and discernment. Use wisdom and discernment to determine if someone is helping you or using you…even when it comes down to a salesmen and his cleaning arsenal.

That’s lesson number one. Let’s move on to lesson number two.

As I stated earlier, there was something about the salesman that just didn’t sit right with me, and I certainly wasn’t going to purchase any product him. As I politely uttered, “No thank you, I’m not interested at this time,” he was packing up his products and leaving before I finished my sentence.  

Fast forward a few minutes. I looked out my window; my office window that is towards the back of the house. The nameless salesman was crossing the street completely unaware that I was able to view him from the office window. As the salesmen is in mid street crossing, I watch him dispose one of his rags; he throws it up and in front of him watching it fall to the ground and keeps walking.

I ask you, is this a person of excellence?

My advice to you is this: Be a person of excellence!

It doesn’t have to take big acts to test one’s character; it can be as simple as disposing your unwanted trash in someone’s neighborhood even when you think no one is looking. Is no one really looking? Well, our Lord sees everything. If you display excellence in small ways, doesn’t that show your ability to display excellence in big ways? If we truly want to be living an abundance, then shouldn’t we act is if we can handle the responsibility?   

It’s great if you have talent and wanted skill sets, but talent and skill sets can only get you so far. Talent maybe able to get you places, but character determines how long you stay there.
Use your wisdom and discernment to make sensible decisions, and make sure you display character that is worth impersonating; if not, you may get written up as a life lesson in a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment