Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Get your Inner Tube

Today’s Reflection: Floating Thoughts
I don’t think it would be possible to count all the thoughts that come in and out of your mind in one day. There are times when I have to write a thought down, because I know I’ll temporarily forget it. Why might I forget an important thought, because we get busy; you feel like your mind is juggling and trying to process a million things, and writing things down may help compartmentalize your brain.
Even though thoughts may run by the million and seem overwhelming, there is a good side to having so many thoughts.
First, realize that not all thoughts are true. You may be over critical of yourself, and tell yourself you should be like this, or you should do that, or why can’t I be this that or the other; those criticisms first come from thoughts, and are they true….most like, no. It is important to know what God says about you, and realize your value in HIM, that way, when the thoughts you have are harsh…you’ll know them to be untrue.
Secondly, view your thoughts as floaters. Why think of thoughts as floaters? Floaters don’t stick; they float along (coming and going).
If you start to pay attention to thoughts, you’ll notice something interesting. Thoughts do float. Ever try mediating? It’s hard to empty the mind, and it can seem like all these little thoughts keep coming; i.e. what time do I need to set the alarm clock? What’s the expiration date on the milk I’ve got in the fridge? Don’t forget to pick up the dry cleaning on your way home!
I hope you’re laughing at my examples; not that you’re laughing at me, but laughing at the truth behind all the floating thoughts we have…especially when we try to mediate.
My real point behind this post is fear. Fear??? Are you thinking…“but she was babbling about floating thoughts, how is this about fear???”
Fear, harshness, criticism, worry…these all start with thoughts and how our minds process experiences. Our minds are very impactful, which is why it’s so important to think positive. But what’s more important is to let all your fear, harshness, criticism, and worry thoughts be floaters. They come but don’t let them stay…just let them float by.  When we focus, dwell, and rehearse these unwanted thoughts, that’s when they stop being floaters and they become sinkers. Don’t let the negativity sink into you. If you are saying, but I’m learning this NOW…I’ve already got sinkers…what do I do? You can turn your sinkers into floater. When the fear comes…don’t pay it any attention. When the harshness comes…don’t entertain it. When the criticism comes…replace it with something positive. When worry comes…say, I’m giving that to God, and move along with your day.
That’s the good side of having so many thoughts; a fearful thought might come, but you now know that it will pass (if you don’t entertain it) and you’ll quickly move to another thought.
Don’t allow sinking thoughts sink you into living a fearful unfulfilled life.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear — not absence of fear."
– Mark Twain
To me, mastering your fears simple means to not allow them to sink you. So blow up your favorite inner tube and let those negative fearful thoughts float on by!




No comments:

Post a Comment