Saturday, June 11, 2011

In the Lab

Friendships are like having a science experiment. When you mix peoples personalities, behaviors, loyalty and motives, it can be like watching mixed chemicals in a beaker; will they react calmly together or will they explode?!
I mentioned a quote awhile back from Elizabeth Taylor (memba that?) and when I was looking at some of her famous quotes, I stumbled upon two quotes that lit up like a Bunsen Burner:
"Success is a great deodorant."
"You find out who your real friends are when you're involved in a scandal."

Having lots of friends doesn’t impress me. Sometimes people will joke about someone not having any friends. Sometimes not having any friends is better than having a ton of friends. Why is that my opinion? Because having a lot of friends can lead you into a false sense of importance. It’s like what E. Taylor said, when the chips are down...who is really going to stand by your side...that’s when true friends show there colors. I would rather be alone, then have to question who is a real friend or foe.
Getting to know people and developing relationships are so important.  A friend should be encouraging and helpful. A friend does not gossip about you behind your back. Way back a pastor said something I’ll never forget...if they’re gossiping to you about others when you get together, then don’t be surprised when they gossip about you when you’re not around. Friends don’t try to one up you when something exciting happens in your life. Friendships should be about celebration, not competition.
Don’t feel bad if you don’t have many friends. Wait for God to move the right people into your circle.
Dust off your lab coat and buy some extra test tubes, because it’s time to start dissecting friendships before the scandal.

   

2 comments:

  1. I am not one to comment on peoples blog but I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for this post. I found you through a friend and got to reading a few of your blogs. Your blog is really good and this certain post really hit home with me here lately. Thanks again, it makes me think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Thank you for leaving me a comment…and such a lovely comment at that.

    ReplyDelete