Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rude Wear

I had a rude encounter today. No one wears rude well, and it’s never in season. I want to believe that people don’t intentionally mean to be rude. Sometimes people don’t realize how they sound and come across. Sometimes people have a bad day and they don’t know how to separate their feelings, leaving there interactions with others as bad mannered. Am I making excuses for rude behavior? Maybe. Bottom line is…rude is rude.
How did I handle the rudeness? I let it go. I acted like it didn’t bother me. I could have easily put the person in their place, or even complained to their superior. I think there needs to be a line between knowing when to complain about rudeness or un-proper service, and when to shut up. This was my shut-up moment.
There was no point in engaging in the rudeness. I was not going to bring my ego into the picture to prove that I was right. In fact, that might be a wrong choice of words, because it was not a situation of who was right and who was wrong; it was a situation of ego. Egos can be unruly. Sometimes it’s best to let your ego fall to the side so that there will be peace in the situation.
This is not saying you should have people walk on you. This is not saying that your voice doesn’t matter, because it does. What I am saying, is that sometimes you have to shut-up for peace. Don’t feel like you are giving them a pass on anything. Remember, God sees all and hears all. God knew the situation well before it happened. God sees how the person is treating you. God also sees how you are going to respond. Trust me when I say, that God will correct that person at some point; you may not see how or when God corrects them, but he can correct and humble them in a way that you cannot in your state of ‘proving them wrong.’
Shut-up and let God work on them and their issues. Shut-up and let God work on you and your issues. God wants to see you be mature. God wants to see you work from love and not your ego.
We don’t live in an ego-free world. We don’t live in a world where every encounter is smooth. We don’t even live in a world where everybody likes everybody. But, we do live in a world (your world) where you can control your behavior. Let rudeness be a thing of the past. Peace never goes out of style and looks good on everyone…and if you check the label, it may read shut- up.

1 comment:

  1. Words of wisdom...sometimes so hard to do! :)

    ReplyDelete