Wednesday, August 24, 2011

For You!

I am making an effort to improve. ‘Making an effort,’ leaves room for error and means I don’t always follow through. If I said, I ‘religiously’ try to improve, then that would tell you my strict devotion to self improvement. Making an effort allows me to be human. This journey of self-improvement leads me to much reflection, prayer, mediation, affirmations, seeking God, attending services, and reading material that will help in the name of enlightenment. In my northern star search, I must confess: I get tired. There are times when I just want to relax and not try so hard.
To be or not to be…is that really the question? To be in the thick of my search means progress (and to put if frankly, isn’t that the whole point?). Not to be, or wanting to relax, to whom does that benefit?
I remember feeling the pressure to meditate
one day, as if it was a chore laid upon me from a wicked step-mother from a Disney tale. The answer came: For you!
What seems like a chore, what seems like work, is not for God’s benefit, it’s for me. God does not need the enlightenment; I’m not doing Him a favor, I’m doing myself a favor.
Whenever you ‘make an effort’ or ‘make a religious’ attempt at empowering yourself, remember you are not doing it to earn brownie points or to win someone’s approval; you are doing it…for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment